Over the weekend of February 29 – March 2, 2020, teams of two will participate in a live competition in their registered category, modeled after the global competitions in Cannes. A brief for a not-for-profit organization will be unveiled when the competition begins.
The Print, Digital, Media and Marketers entry submission runs from Saturday, February 29 at 9:00 a.m. EST to Sunday, March 1 at 9:00 a.m. EST.
The Film entry submission runs from Saturday, February 29 at 9:00 a.m. EST to Monday, March 2 at 9:00 a.m. EST.
The entry submission form will be live only during these periods. Late entries result in automatic disqualification – THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
Tip: Budget extra time prior to the entry submission deadline to ensure you aren’t rushed to complete the submission form, especially in the case of large files.
- January 20 – February 24: Registration is opens for the 2020 Canadian Young Lions competitions
- February 29 – March 2: Competition dates
- April 1: Live judging for shortlisted Young Lions Marketing competition
- April 2: Live judging for shortlisted Young Lions Media competition
- April 22: Winners are announced at the CMDC Conference in Toronto
- June 22-26: Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in Cannes, France
To be eligible to enter, you must:
- be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada at the time of entry
- be at least the legal age of majority in your province or territory and not turn 30 years old before June 26th, 2020
- be able to submit your entry in English
- hold a valid passport at least 6 months from expiry without any restrictions on travel
- be available to attend the 2020 Cannes International Festival of Creativity in Cannes, France on June 22, 2020 – June 26, 2020
For the Digital, Print & Film Categories you must:
- be professionals employed by or working freelance for a creative communications, advertising, or digital agency
For the Media Category you must:
- be employed by or working freelance for: (A) a media agency; or (B) specific in-house media departments in agencies
For the Marketers Category you must:
- be working for client companies that engage the services of advertising and communications companies (i.e. Intel, Coca-Cola). We do not accept advertising agencies to compete in the Young Marketers competition. Freelancers are not eligible to compete in the Marketing Category.
How to Enter
Make sure each member of your team has:
- Read and agreed to the 2020 Official Young Lions Competition Rules
- Completed and submitted a Registration Form
- Paid a non-refundable CAD$75 Registration Fee
- Submitted a competition entry that meets the requirements of the competition brief released on February 29, 2020
For detailed requirements, please review the 2020 Official Young Lions Competition Rules.
Submissions will be reviewed by this year’s panel of judges.
For Media and Marketers categories only, up to 5 shortlisted teams per category will be invited to present their submission in a live judging round during the week of March 30, 2020 at The Globe and Mail Centre. Each member of the shortlisted team must attend in person to present their submission. There is an automatic disqualification for teams that only have one team member present.
In addition to being awarded Canada’s Young Lions for 2020 and representing Canada at Cannes Lions, each winning team receives:
- Round-trip economy airfare and return airport transfers to Nice, France
- Accommodation in two(2) single occupancy room in Cannes, France for the duration of the Festival
- Two (2) full week registration passes to attend the Festival
- Registration and participation in the 2020 Global Young Lions Competition to represent Canada at the Festival