The 2019 Young Lions Competitions are hosted by The Globe and Mail, Official Festival Representative in Canada for the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity.
Over the weekend of March 2-4, 2019, entrants will participate in a live competition in their registered category, modeled after the global competitions in Cannes. Each category will unveil a not-for-profit organization that will be the subject of each category’s submissions.
The Print, Digital, Media and Marketers entry submission runs from Saturday, March 2 at 9:00 a.m. EST to Sunday, March 3 at 9:00 a.m. EST. The Film entry submission runs from Saturday, March 2 at 9:00 a.m. EST to Monday, March 4 at 9:00 a.m. EST. The entry submission form will be live only during these periods. Late entries result in automatic disqualification – THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
Tip: Budget extra time prior to the entry submission deadline to ensure you aren’t rushed to complete the submission form, especially in the case of large files.
- Until February 22: Registration opens for the 2019 Canadian Young Lions Competitions
- March 2-4: Competition dates
- Week of April 1: Live judging for shortlisted Young Lions Media and Marketers teams
- April 24: Winners are announced at the CMDC Conference
- June 17-21: Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity in Cannes, France
To be eligible to enter the Young Lions, entrants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada who at the time of entry are:
- at least the legal age of majority in their province or territory of residence and not older than 30 years of age prior to June 21, 2019
- have a good understanding of spoken and written English
- hold a valid passport at least 6 months from expiry without any restrictions on travel
- available to attend the 2019 Cannes International Festival of Creativity in Cannes, France on June 17, 2019 – June 21, 2019
In addition to the Competition Entry Requirements, to be eligible to enter Young Lions entrants must be:
- professionals employed by or working freelance for a creative communications, advertising, or digital agency for the Digital, Print and Film Categories; or
- employed by or working freelance for: (A) a media agency; or (B) specific in-house media department in an agency, for the Media Category.
In addition to the Competition Entry Requirements, to be eligible to enter the Marketers Category entrants must be:
- professionals employed (i.e. not freelance) in the marketing department of a company that engages the services of a creative communications, advertising, or digital agency
How to Enter
Each partner must:
- Read and agree to the 2019 Official Young Lions Competition Rules
- Complete and submit a Registration Form
- Pay a non-refundable CAD$75 Registration Fee
- Submit a competition entry that meets the requirements of the competition brief released on March 2, 2019
For detailed requirements, please review the 2019 Official Young Lions Competition Rules.
Submissions will be reviewed by this year’s panel of judges.
For Media and Marketers categories only, up to 5 shortlisted teams per category will be invited to participate in a live judging round during the week of April 1, 2019 where they will present their submission to judges at The Globe and Mail Centre.
In addition to being crowned Canada’s Young Lions for 2019 and representing Canada at Cannes Lions, each winning team receives:
- Round-trip economy airfare and return airport transfers to Nice, France
- Accommodation in a single or shared occupancy room in Cannes, France for the duration of the Festival
- Two-full week registration passes to attend the Festival
- Registration and participation in the 2019 Global Young Lions Competition to represent Canada at the Festival